A Real Tree of Life
Scientists are constantly being surprised by what they discover in the plants that are found on this wonderful planet. One of the most astounding plants is one which has the scientific name of Moringa Oleifera. Its everyday name is the “drumstick tree”. It is not impressive in its appearance, but it is impressive in what it has for human beings.
In a recent study done by Carrie Waterman, who is a natural product chemist at the University of California at Davis, she found in her estimation, moringa to be among the top 10 super foods that could greatly improve world health. She found that all parts of the tree are edible from the leaves to the bark down to the roots. In addition to those findings the plant is packed with protein and contains all the amino acids. It contains by weight more protein than the legumes which are most used to provide proteins in the diet of most peoples.
Did I Mention
Did I mention that even the seeds are edible, too. The seeds can be eaten like sunflower seeds and have a slightly bitter taste. But when added to a soup or salad, they add a nice little “twang” to the flavor.
The leaves are comparable to broccoli, kale and cabbage and add a little peppery taste to salads or seasoning for meats. They carry the same nutritional value, as well.
The flowers of the moringa tree are quite often used to make tea.
Here is a list of some things that can be derived from what some call the moringa drumstick tree.
- The crushed seeds are used to remove bacteria from water, up to 99.9%
- The seed powder removes cloudiness from water
- It is fast growing and drought resistant
- Yields lamp oil
- Yields cooking oil
- All parts of the tree are nutritious(pods, seeds, leaves, flowers, roots)
- Is fodder for stock animals
- An extract of the plant fights parasitic worm infections
- Can be farmed as an agricultural product to produce income for farmers
Waterman made this statement in regard to the moringa oleifera:
There’s nothing super-looking about moringa. It’s skinny and sparse in foliage. Its fragile branches sprout puny white flowers and droop with long twisted pods knobby with seeds. But if plants were superheroes, then moringa would be Iron Man.
Let’s summarize some benefits of the moringa drumstick tree:
- It is very nutritious. Per volume it contains high amounts of protein, vitamin B6, vitamin C, iron, riboflavin (B2), vitamin A, and magnesium
- It is rich in antioxidants
- Helps to lower blood sugar levels
- Reduced inflammation in some studies
- Helps lower cholesterol
- Helps protect against arsenic poisoning
- Aids in the prevention of plaque formation
- Helps reduce some diabetes symptoms
- Supports brain health
- Protects the liver against oxidation and toxicity which may cause damage
- Helps fight infection in the blood and the urinary and digestive tracts
Here is a list of compounds and nutrients found in the moringa drumstick tree.
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2(mentioned above)
- B3, B6
- Vitamin C as folate acid and ascorbic acid
In addition to all these good nutrients it is low in fats and contains no harmful cholesterol.
There are many sources by which you can obtain the benefits of this “miracle tree”. The most common is by ingesting it in the form of a powder mixed in liquid or by taking it orally through capsules. The flowers may be obtained through suppliers for making tea. The leaves may also be purchased at “whole food” suppliers and stores to be used in salads or cooking as a portion of a meal.
Though there are some cautions associated with the using of moringa oleifera, they are not considered a great danger. It is best in any change of diet to consult your personal physician to make sure that your unique situation is not adversely affected by the use of moringa oleifera.
In today’s society, anything that can aid in producing and maintaining good health is of great value. We carry on such busy life styles and more often than not our nutrition suffers. So, when a product comes along that produces so many good things and promotes good health for those who use it, it is worth considering its inclusion in our diet.
Moringa oleifera is a natural substance that has been shown to provide nutrients which may be lacking in our fast paced life today. I recommend that you consider incorporating it in your daily diet.
I shall provide a link by which you can order this nutrient through Amazon. May you use it in good health and may your health improve as you incorporate it in your diet.